Created in 2011 by Digitalarti the Artlab aims to bring together artists and technicians in a creative and collaborative approach. The approach is multidisciplinary, at the crossroads between the possibilities of technology and inspiration of artists. The creations can be new artworks, new versions of existing ones or adaptation for a place or a client event.
The Artlab is a creative space where artists collaborations with engineers design the outgoing works of their imagination. It is a place of research, development and prototyping dedicated to digital arts and artists provides advanced technical skills, as well as significant material resources to enable the production of works. The works created within the Artlab are coproductions among two actors : the artist with his original idea and Digitalarti with its production equipment, human and financial. It is in this place that co-productions are created with research, prototypes and testing.
Artists are welcomed at Artlab 3 different ways:
– Resident: a collaboration between an artist and the Digitalarti Artlab leading to the production of a work, usually a coproduction
– Visitor: a project by an artist / technician, enjoying space, tools, atmosphere and guidance from the Artlab team (for free, in exchange for a participation in the lab life, with exchange of expertise and knowledge …)
– Service: an artist entrusts the Artlab the realization of the technical part of his project.
The “Resident” option is the most frequent one. Projects are selected according to several criteria: artistic quality, technical knowledge of the artist, potential impact on the career of the artist, technical contribution to the development of Artlab, project and artist integration capacity in the life of Artlab, international diffusion potential of the creation.
In addition to it’s team of engineers, technicians and designers, the Artlab has numerous machines from computer-aided tools, CNC, 3D printers, laser cutting and electronic card engraving including:
– Digital / Computer: The Artlab is equipped with several computers with all available operating systems (Linux, Windows, Mac OSX)
– PCB : the Artlab has the necessary equipment for the production of printed circuits prototypes.
– Electronic work: The Artlab is equipped with the tools necessary for basic or advanced electronic assembly and with many electronic parts and kits
– Grinder Proxxon®
– Digital milling Proxxon®
– Two jigsaws Proxxon®
– Laser cutters Full Spectrum Laser®
– Renita Ingrave 3D software
– 3 x 3D printers including Machine FDM or Fused deposition UP Plus 2
– Wood and metal Lathe
– Various 3D software including nccad8
– 3D printer Leapfrog CreatrHS
The Artlab has also several tools that can be found in fablabs and other prototyping tools spaces like:
– Small and large drill to Proxxon® column
– Various tools